Let’s be honest, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our [[companyame1]] members go through, but it’s also the most rewarding. Healthy eating in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are always emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on limiting something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also unwise. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled correctly to perform properly. Limiting vital nutrients is detrimental to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet alone actually lose their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since our very first 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it uncomplicated! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food choices.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” added to our food have substantially changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to succeed.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become the norm in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that fashion. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep a tally of calories! We don’t pay attention to calories because numerous foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a greater fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more substantial than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific method to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This specifies how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, keeping your body in “burn mode” as opposed to “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to consume good fat as it provides needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get elsewhere.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food enters our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning extra sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members have smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to fill up the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are encouraged to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they can have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you put in your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking the right amount of water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle soreness. Our members try to drink at least 10 glasses of water every day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions in control.
So, you could spend a lot of money on fad diets, specific meals that count points, tracking calories or eliminating every tasty food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the price of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and increase your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to sign up! You won’t believe how much you can transform in as little as 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread every day with the Farrell's program too!